Fact Sheet Search

Fact Sheet Alphabetical List

86th AW/IG Complaints & Resolution Frequently Asked Questions

Community Housing

Community Housing

The housing referral agents are here to assist you in securing off-base community housing. Listings of available community apartments/homes are located on www.homes.mil. One, two and three bedroom homes are usually available; however, four and five bedroom homes are not as easy to find. German homes are different from U.S. homes; they do not include closets and may have two or more apartments under one roof. You won't find many single, freestanding homes.

NOTE: Pets will greatly limit your range of choices for community housing in any bedroom category.

Listings referred by the housing office are backed by U.S. Air Forces in Europe Form 291a, the USAFE Housing Contract. The housing counselors will also mediate any disputes between you and your landlord providing the contract originates from this office.

Members are discouraged from using local "Immobilien" services (German rental agencies) only because their finder's fees may range from one to three months' rent. This is in addition to normal move-in costs. The costs for Immobilien service is usually at your own expense. If you seek reimbursement of Immobilien fees you must provide significant justification in writing to the housing director and receive prior approval before utilizing Immobilien services.

There are some charges that you may not have paid in the United States: snow removal, chimney sweep, sewage disposal, stairwell cleaning, garbage collection, stairwell and basement lighting, etc. These charges are common in Germany and they are not designed to take advantage of the American tenant. The landlord will usually add these charges, if they apply, to the special condition portion of the rental contract.

Quiet Hours
German law places limits on noise level. Night peace: 10 p.m. - 6 a.m. Daytime: 1 - 3 p.m. Lawn mowers and other gardening machines may be used from 7 a.m. - 1 p.m. and 3 - 7 p.m., except Sundays or German holidays.

Recycling is mandatory in Germany. You will have one receptacle for trash items, one for recyclables and one for cardboard/paper items. You will receive a listing of what items are typical for each category at your off base briefing.

Utility Bills
Since these are written in German, if you have any questions about the validity of the charges, ask our counselors to review the bills. Items charged are different from those you are used to in the United States.

All housing contracts must be accomplished through the Housing Management Office. Once you located community housing, please process a 291a with your landlord and return this form to our office in order to finalize your contract.

Inspection Procedures
Normally, members just accompany the landlord with the Premises Condition/Inventory, USAFE Form 333a. The landlord must sign this form so that we may clear you. Referral agents can arrange to be present during the clearance inspection if problems are anticipated. Please make an appointment at least two weeks in advance.

The following is a list of housing offices:

Vogelweh Housing Office (serves entire KMC)
Location: Bldg. 1001
Phone number: DSN from states 314-489-6643/6671 or commercial 011-49-631-536-6643/6671