HomeAboutFact SheetsDisplay


Updated November 14, 2018

Housing Office
Customer Service Hours
Vogelweh, Building 1001
DSN: 489-6671
Comm:  +49-631-536-6671

Monday - Thursday 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; Friday 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
(No Walk-ins between 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mon-Thur or after 11 a.m. on Fri)
Closed on German and American Holidays
Email:  KMCHousing@us.af.mil


Average Wait Time for Government Housing

NOTE: If your authorized housing category shows a 0 months wait, inbound personnel can expect to receive an offer for on-base housing. Whether that offer is accepted or rejected, members should expect their temporary lodging allowance (TLA) to stop by the date that the Furnishings Management Section (FMS) could have delivered temporary furniture to the house.


The KMC Housing Management Office assists all military members and DOD civilian employees collecting Living Quarter Allowance (LQA), in securing a home on base (military only) or on the economy. Accompanied service members may choose to live in government quarters or in the community. Unaccompanied Air Force E-4 and below must report to the Dorm Reception Center, Bldg 2108, with a copy of their orders. Unaccompanied Army E-6 and below personnel are required to live in Army Barracks. Please report to Army Unaccompanied Housing located in Bldg 3213 on Kleber Kaserne or contact them at DSN (314) 483-8643.

OFF-Base Housing/Housing Allowances
There are over 11,000 rental units located throughout 300 villages within a 20-mile radius of Ramstein AB and Kaiserslautern.  One, two and three bedroom units are available. There are units with four bedrooms and higher, but are somewhat more difficult to find. Many landlords do not allow pets, so ask before making any commitments. The use of Realtors or Immobiliens is discouraged because their finder's fees may range from one to three months rent; this is in addition to normal move-in costs.  The fee for an Immobilien  is at your own expense.

Service members will receive Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA) instead of Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) while station overseas. The OHA is a reimbursement system that takes into consideration the amount the service members spend on rent, utilities and associated move-in costs.

OHA Components
      * Maximum Rental Allowance. A monthly payment designed to help compensate service member for rental expenses at assigned overseas location.
      * Utility/Recurring Maintenance Allowance. Paid monthly to help offset expenses for members who pay utilities, recurring maintenance, and minor repair expenses
      * Move-in Housing Allowance (MIHA). A one-time payment to all OHA recipients designed to cover average move-in expenses, such as utility installation, at an overseas location.
Information on rates and allowances visit http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/

TLA Procedures 
Temporary Lodging Allowance is an entitlement to help defray the cost of lodging while seeking permanent housing. TLA is closely monitored and certain criteria must be met to continue to receive TLA. Members will be briefed on their TLA entitlement and their responsibilities at their newcomers briefing. So it is very important to get your briefing immediately upon arrival. With a reservation, Services generally blocks 30 days for a Temporary Living Facility room. After that it is space-available. But reservation policies are up to Air Force Inns. TLA is authorized for payment while member is "aggressively seeking housing"
-- The housing office has authority to approve TLA up to 30 days; up to 60 days requires approval from the 86th Civil Engineer Squadron commander
-- TLA extensions will not be allowed when listings are available within a service member's bedroom entitlement, OHA ceiling, etc. Note the bedroom entitlement is less than many people prefer and does not distinguish between apartments, duplexes, stand-alone houses, etc.
-- Members should get a receipt from lodging every 10 days and submit to the housing office.
-- Pet issues and school districts are not justification for TLA extensions beyond 30 days.

Furnishing/Appliances (Replace)
Furnishings Management Section (FMS) is an extension of the Housing Flight and therefore, falls under the AFI 32-6001, Family Housing Management, for support.  Loaner furniture is authorized to service members and to eligible civilian employees who are authorized LQA residing in the KMC area of responsibility. FMO will provide appliances (washer, dryer, refrigerator) for you for the length of your tour. While waiting for your household goods, FMO will provide you with loaner furniture up to 90 days. This does not include linen, pots/pans, etc.; however, dish packs can be obtained through your services Family Support agencies.

For more information on housing, check out the below links:

Housing Website