Library Fact Sheets
DRIVING IN GERMANY|
Printable Fact Sheet
REQUIREMENTS TO DRIVE
Drivers MUST have a U.S. Army Europe license to drive in Germany, no exception. An international driver's license is not acceptable, nor can you legally drive a rental car while you wait for your vehicle to arrive without one.
Driving in Germany is a privilege, not a right. All personnel assigned to the KMC who require driving privileges:
■ Must take the HQ USAREUR driver's test
■ Must have a valid US driver's license (not provisional or restricted)
■ Must possess the USAREUR driver's permit while operating a USAREUR plated vehicle
■ Must be 17 years old or older
■ Must have a debit or credit card for $10.00 NO CASH
Note: An international driver's license alone is not an acceptable option to operate any USAREUR plated vehicle
How can I take the test prior to arrival?
· Visit the USAFE (USAREUR) Driver's License Web site; https://app.usafe.af.mil/DLT_v3 to watch the video and take the CBT (Access to the Web site requires a .mil account and CAC card)
**NOTE--The video at times will not allow the user to move to the next module if it is not played in full screen mode. If you have tried this method, and are still unable to move on please contact our office at the numbers below.
What are my options to get a USAREUR driver's license?
Option 1: Testing prior to PCS (Highly recommended!)
· All active duty AF members with projected assignments to Ramstein or one of the supported Globally Separated Units (GSUs) are eligible to test in advance on a government network/computer. When members arrive, they will fill out the required form during the mandatory 2-day in-processing event.
Option 2: Testing upon arrival.
· All Airmen who did not test prior to arrival will be administered the driver's license CBT during the mandatory 2-day in-processing event. Personnel who test prior to arrival will simply provide the documentation and apply for their temporary license during in-processing.
Option 3: European or NATO Transfer
· Member's PCSing to Ramstein from another European base can transfer their license to a USAREUR license.
· Member must watch the local orientation video before receiving their USAREUR license.
· Video is shown daily in our office at 7:30 a.m.
· Member must present valid license to be transferred.
Upon arrival, visit the 86th Vehicle Readiness Squadron Driver Testing Office in Bldg. 2106, Room 201 to submit your driver's license application and receive your USAREUR license. For additional information, call DSN 314-480-0116 or commercial 011-49-6371-47-0116.
Dependents and Spouses
Where can I study?
· To study online or take practice tests use www.usareurpracticetest.com this site does not require a .mil account and is very user friendly.
Can I take the test online at home?
· No, unfortunately you are not able to take the test at home. You will have to schedule an appointment with our testing office; Bldg 2106 Room 201 DSN 480-0116. We test every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday at 0715 by appointment only. DOORS CLOSE AT 0730 IF YOU ARE LATE YOU MUST RESCHEDULE.
· On the day of the test our office will need to see: a copy of orders, a command sponsorship package, or letter of employment, a valid stateside or country driver's license, a military or dependent ID car, and a debit or credit card for $10.00. (NO CASH)
What if I came with my spouse and still have a valid European/NATO license?
· You will not be required to test again. All that is required is the orientation video.
· If you have a valid German license you will not be required to test or watch the orientation video.
Our office will make a copy of your previous license to send up to our main office at Sembach.
What if I have a visitor that needs to drive a USAEUR plated vehicle?
The first step is to have the visitor(s) get an International Driver's License prior to arrival.
When your visitor(s) arrive, take them to the Customs office on Ramstein, Bldg. 305 Rm 14. The Customs office will need the following:
· International Driver's License
· Vehicle registration provided by the owner of the vehicle to be driven
Once the above criterion has been met, the Customs Office will issue an Exception to Policy letter. The visitor must carry the letter, passport and International Driver's License whenever they are operating a USAREUR plated vehicle.
For further information contact the Customs Office at DSN: 480-3720.
Ramstein's Drivers Testing Station is not authorized for use by US Army personnel (Soldiers, Civilians, and Contactors) or Family Members per the Army Garrison Commander.
Army personnel will utilize the Drivers Testing Station located at Daenner Kaserne in building 3104, room 106.
Mon. through Fri. 7:30 a.m. to noon and 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Commercial Dialing: 06314117332/7482
Newcomer's main page