Ramstein Air Base   Right Corner Banner
Join the Air Force

Library > Fact Sheets > Driving in Germany


Posted 8/20/2014 Printable Fact Sheet


Drivers MUST have a U.S. Army Europe license to drive in Germany, no exception. An international driver's license is not acceptable, nor can you legally drive a rental car while you wait for your vehicle to arrive without one.

Driving in Germany is a privilege, not a right. All personnel assigned to the KMC who require driving privileges:

■ Must take the HQ USAREUR driver's test
■ Must have a valid US driver's license (not provisional or restricted)
■ Must possess the USAREUR driver's permit while operating a USAREUR plated vehicle
■ Must be 17 years old or older
■ Must have a debit or credit card for $10.00 NO CASH
Note: An international driver's license alone is not an acceptable option to operate any USAREUR plated vehicle

Where do I go for information?
■ Visit the USAFE (USAREUR) Driver's License Web site to watch the video and take the CBT https://app.usafe.af.mil/DLT_v3 (Access to the Web site requires a .mil account and CAC card)
**NOTE--The video at times will not allow the user to move to the next module if it is not played in full screen mode. If you have tried this method, and are still unable to move on please contact our office at the numbers below.

■ Active duty, Guard and Reserve AF members within 60 days of their RNLTD are eligible to test at their current duty station in their work center.
■ To study online or take practice tests use www.usareurpracticetest.com this site does not require a .mil account and is very user friendly.

What are my options to get a USAREUR driver's license?

Option 1: Testing prior to PCS (Highly recommended!)
■ All active duty AF members with projected assignments to Ramstein or one of the supported Globally Separated Units (GSUs) are eligible to test in advance on a government network/computer. When members arrive, they will fill out the required form during the mandatory 2-day inprocessing event.

Option 2: Testing upon arrival
■ All Airmen who did not test prior to arrival will be administered the driver's license CBT during the mandatory 2-day inprocessing event. Personnel who test prior to arrival will simply provide the documentation and apply for their temporary license during inprocessing.
■ Dependents and Federal Government employees/contractors (who do not have a CAC card) will be required to stop by the testing office or call the Ramstein licensing office to schedule a test date.

Option 3: Transfer European License
■ Member's PCSing to Ramstein from another European base can transfer their license to a USAREUR license.
■ Member must watch the local orientation video before receiving the USAREUR license.
■ Video is shown daily in our office at 7:30 a.m.
■ Member must present valid license to be transferred.

Upon arrival, visit the 86th Vehicle Readiness Squadron Driver Testing Office in Bldg. 2106, Room 201 to submit your driver's license application and receive your USAREUR license. For additional information, call DSN 314-480-5534 or commercial 011-49-6371-47-5534.

What if I have a visitor that needs to drive a USAREUR plated vehicle?
The best course of action is to have visitors get an International Driver's License before arrival.

When your visitors arrive, take them to the Customs Office on Ramstein, Bldg. 305 Rm. 14. The Customs Office will need the following:

-- International Drivers License
-- Visitor must have their passport
-- Sponsor (vehicle owner) must bring in the registration of the vehicle to be operated by the visitor.

Once the above criterion has been met, the Customs Office will issue an Exception to Policy letter. The visitor must carry the letter, passport and International Driver's License whenever they are operating a USAREUR plated vehicle.

For further information contact the Customs Office at DSN: 480-3720.

Ramstein's Drivers Testing Station is not authorized for use by US Army personnel (Soldiers, Civilians, and Contactors) or Family Members per the Army Garrison Commander.

Army personnel will utilize the Drivers Testing Station located at Daenner Kaserne in building 3104, room 106.
Mon. through Fri. 7:30 a.m. to noon and 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
DSN: 483-7332/7482
Commercial Dialing: 06314117332/7482

Newcomer's main page

 Inside Ramstein

ima cornerSearch

ima corner


Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act